Wedmore is situated four miles south of Cheddar and seven miles west of Wells. Bristol is 20 miles north with Bristol Airport only 15 miles away. The beautiful City of Bath is 30 miles in a north-easterly direction.
Over the years, the village has developed on a raised area within the Somerset Levels, an area of great simplicity and beauty, known as The Isle of Wedmore, bordered on the north by the Mendip Hills. Within the village are a number of high quality clothing and antique shops, a bank, post office, excellent local stores and a number of first rate coffee shops and restaurants.
The area is favoured for walking, cycling, riding and enjoying the wildlife. Weston Super Mare with its famous Grand Pier and Burnham and Brean beaches are nearby. Numerous other leisure activities await the visitor, golfing, skiing, clay and rough shooting to name a few.
Wedmore Through History
The origins of Wedmore reach back to Iron Age and Roman times, but its name probably meaning “hunting lodge” comes from Saxon times and the Royal Estate that existed in the area.
The Treaty of Wedmore was signed in 878 by King Alfred the Great and Guthrum the Dane. A large hoard of Saxon silver coins was found in the church yard adjoining the hotel in 1853.
In Medieval times a weekly (and special annual) market was held in Wedmore and the village developed through the great days of coaching, when the hotel was greatly extended to what we see now. Today The Young Farmers Club holds its annual show at The George and the Courtyard teems with the mixture of animals and people.